September 29, 2023
Kitchen hearth damages residence on Sunday

A fast response by Columbus firefighters prevented vital hearth harm in an residence advanced following a Sunday night kitchen hearth. Occupants of the residence advanced evacuated the constructing with out harm.

At 6:36 p.m. Sunday, Columbus firefighters responded to Steinhurst Manor Flats, 37 Salzburg Boulevard, for a residential hearth. The tenant referred to as 9-1-1 to advise dispatchers that smoke alarms inside her residence had been sounding and a hearth was within the residence’s kitchen, mentioned Capt. Mike Wilson, Columbus Hearth Division spokesman.

Firefighters arrived on the scene inside 3 minutes of the preliminary dispatch and reported no hearth seen from the outside of the two-story residence advanced. Crews went to a second-story residence the place they situated heavy smoke circumstances. After getting into the residence, firefighters situated a hearth within the kitchen and rapidly extinguished the flames with a pressurized water-can hearth extinguisher.

Columbus Hearth Division Investigators spoke with the residence’s tenant, who said that she was alerted of the hearth by a working smoke alarm within the residence. The tenant mentioned she had just lately ready a meal within the kitchen and was consuming the meal in a bed room when she heard a smoke alarm sounding, Wilson mentioned. The tenant discovered a hearth on the range high that was spreading to kitchen cupboards situated above the range, referred to as 9-1-1 and left the residence.

When firefighters entered the residence, they discovered the kitchen cupboards on hearth and a melted plastic trash can on the ground. Utilizing a pressurized water-can hearth extinguisher, firefighters had been profitable in extinguishing the flames earlier than the hearth might lengthen into the residence’s constructing building or different uninvolved rooms. Investigators discovered that the plastic trash can was positioned on high of the countertop whereas the tenant was sweeping the kitchen flooring following the preparation of the meal. Investigators decided that the plastic trash can made contact with a sizzling burner which led to the hearth. The fireplace brought on roughly $6,500 in harm. Investigators have listed the reason for the hearth as unintentional.

Harm brought on by the hearth was remoted to the residence’s kitchen. Smoke harm was seen all through the residence. The occupants, an grownup male and an feminine, can be quickly displaced and suggested investigators that they might be staying with household. Companies that assisted on the scene embrace the Columbus Police Division and Columbus Regional Well being Emergency Medical Companies.